| Additional Resources |
The VerticalMouse 4 Bluetooth for Mac features a unique patented contoured design that transforms the traditional palm down mousing position into a vertical handshake position. This "vertical" position is designed to reduce stress in the forearm and elbow and offers increased comfort for many individuals. The flange along the bottom of the mouse prevents the fifth finger from dragging on the desk and a uniquely sculpted thumb rest provides not only a relaxed resting place for the thumb but also a means for enhanced control of the mouse.
The VerticalMouse 4 Bluetooth for Mac offers performance-based features including an easy-to-access pointer speed button on the side of the mouse. This offers settings of Extra Low, Low, Medium and High, allowing the appropriate acceleration and degree of precision to be selected for each task. Light activation buttons reduce the force level required, especially important when doing the intensive clicking required in most applications. Basic mouse functionality is available without a driver but those wishing to optimize the ergonomic benefits of their Evoluent VerticalMouse may wish to consider installing the MouseManager programming software for expanded functionality, including customizable access to all 6 buttons on the mouse.
The Bluetooth for Mac model is only available in the Righthanded Standard size but the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 is also available in a 2.4GHz Wireless as well as Left and Right hand Wired models (Mac and PC compatible).
Choose the Correct Size:
Selecting a mouse that best matches hand size is important when addressing ergonomic issues. This printable Sizing Guide can be used to determine whether a SMALL or STANDARD size Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 is the appropriate size.
For hands that are identified as being more suited to a Small model there are both Wired and Wireless Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Small models available. The Small provides all of the ergonomics benefits provided by the Standard Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 but is better suited to those with smaller hands.
Those with large hands and/or long fingers may also be interested in the Evoluent VerticalMouse C or the Evoluent VerticalMouse C Wireless, or may want to consider the Large size of the VerticalMouse D. This latest addition to the Evoluent family is available in Small, Medium and Large sizes for right-handed individuals, in both Wired and Wireless.
View the entire range of Evoluent models.
Comfortable and Easy to Use
The VerticalMouse 4 is optimally sculpted to yield uncompromising comfort and easy-to-reach programmable buttons, eliminating finger stretching and contortions.
Maintains Blood Flow through the Wrist
Conventional horizontal mice cause the forearm to twist away from its natural position, which can reduce blood flow, contort muscles into awkward positions and increase the rate of fatigue. For many, this can result in discomfort and pain while mousing. The Evoluent VerticalMouse lets the hand and forearm maintain an almost vertical alignment that eliminates the unnatural twisting and associated issues.
Eliminates Forearm Pronation
The design of the Evoluent VerticalMouse improves comfort and control when mousing, with a patented shape that supports the hand in a relaxed handshake position, and a sculpted “notch” in which to rest the thumb. This innovative design eliminates forearm twisting and minimizes the effort required to use the mouse. Learn More About Pronation.
Can Reduce or Eliminate Wrist Extension
Traditional mice require that the hand be in a facedown position on the mouse. Most tend to plant the heel of their hand on the mousing surface and then attempt to move the mouse with the thumb and pinkie or ring fingers. This puts the wrist into a position of extension which can lead to painful RSI. The Evoluent VerticalMouse addresses this by rotating the hand away from the desk, eliminating the tendency to "plant" the hand. While it is still possible to create some wrist extension by flexing the wrist for left/right movements this can also be easily addressed by learning to move the Evoluent VerticalMouse with the arm rather than the hand.Learn More About Wrist Extension.
Can Address Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
The vertical orientation into which the Evoluent VerticalMouse rotates the hand is intended to address excessive tension exerted upon the tendons and tissue of the forearm. This occurs when the hand is rotated into the palm down position common in both mousing and keyboarding. This tension is known to commonly manifest in what is usually referred to as "tennis elbow", when inflammation develops where the tendon attaches to the outer edge of the elbow. Eliminating the tension by addressing the pronation issue permits the tendon to relax and as the attachment point is no longer under continuous stress the tissue is permitted to rest and heal.Learn More About Lateral Epicondylitis.
Reduces Potential for “Anticipation of the Click” and Eliminates Finger Extension
The ergonomic design and low click force of the Evoluent encourages individuals to let their fingers remain "at rest" against the buttons, rather than hovering over them in anticipation of clicking. Since the fingers can relax against the mouse there is no hovering or stretching action of the fingers which can lead to development of Trigger Finger.Learn More About Trigger Finger.
Almost No Learning Curve
Because the same familiar handhold adopted when using an ordinary mouse is used - just turned sideways, and the buttons operated by the same fingers, the need to retrain or establish new muscle memory is virtually eliminated.
Because the thumb is positioned to naturally oppose the finger movements the Evoluent VerticalMouse does not unintentionally move sideways when clicking with normal force. Many will probably adapt to this immediately while for others it may take some time while their thumb learns what degree of counterforce is required.
Pointer control is as accurate as any other high-quality performance mouse. The high quality sensor offers four speed settings that can be accessed on-the-fly for optimum performance.
Encourages Load Balancing or Spreading Software Option
Mouse Manager for Mac OSX offers extensive custom, and even contextual (program specific), programming options yet is still easy to use through a simple and intuitive interface. There is also the option of reassigning button commands for load balancing or duplicating commands on multiple buttons in order to spread the load across multiple digits.(See Compatibility notes under Technical Specifications).
Offers Alternative Clicking Options to Reduce Repetition
In order to reduce repetitive clicking the Mouse Manager software can be set to automatically perform a single or double click by pausing the pointer. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Or it is also possible to reassign commands to a different button or multiple bottoms to lighten or spread the clicking. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Provides Alternatives to Static Strain For Click-Drag Operations
Dragging actions impose static stress on the finger while holding the button down. This can be greatly reduced by using the Evoluent Mouse Manager software. This setting lets one press and hold a button momentarily to simulate continued pressing without holding down the button. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Break Reminder Option
In order to discourage overworking of the hands the the Mouse Manager software can be used to set up visual and/or audio alerts as break reminders. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Adjustable Laser Sensor: Pointer speed buttons on the side allow convenient adjustment without even changing one's hand position on the mouse.
- Pointer Speed Indicators: Top mounted LED-illuminated indicators show through the housing on the chrome thumb rest to advise of the current pointer speed.
- Back-Lit Evoluent Logo: A purely cosmetic feature which adds to the lustre and modern look of this mouse. The illumination turns off when the system is in sleep mode to conserve power.
- Useful and Intuitive Driver: Mouse Manager for Mac OSX offers extensive custom, and even contextual (program specific), programming options yet is still easy to use through a simple and intuitive interface.
- Shape: The Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 features gentle contours that the hand naturally forms into and around. These also ensure comfortable grasp locations for a wide range of hand sizes. These contours, combined with the deep and slightly angled
- Multiple Sizes: The Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Bluetooth for Mac model is only available in a "Standard" size that accommodates most average to larger hands. However, NON-Bluetooth, Mac-compatible "Small" and "Standard" Wired and Wireless models are also available.
- Wireless Option: In addition to the Standard size Bluetooth Model for Mac the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 is also available in Wired Left and Right hand models, Small Wired Right hand, and Standard and Small Right hand versions employing traditional 2.4 Ghz wireless.
- Scroll Wheel: Grooved soft rubber with tactile detents. The Scroll Wheel is also "clickable" and provides a "forward" command by default. This command can also be customized using the Evoluent Mouse Manager Software.
- Finger Flange: The large finger flange prevents the fifth finger from dragging on desk.
- Speed Toggle: Move up or down through the 4 pointer speed settings with the easy-to-access side button and clearly visible illuminated indicators.
- Application Dependent Buttons: Create customized button programming which automatically take effect depending on which application is active. Note: Installation of the Evoluent Mouse Manager is required for any custom programming.
- Quality Ergonomic Design: The Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 is engineered with a high quality sensor coupled with the low button activation force for which all models of the Evoluent VerticalMouse are known. Button action and vertical scroll wheel movement is smooth, consistent and precise. Improved contours provide greater comfort and a more relaxed grip.
- Relaxed Handshake Position: The ergonomic contoured shape of the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 supports the hand in a natural handshake position that eliminates forearm twisting. Finger positions are similar to a traditional "flat" mouse, but rather in a vertical orientation, so almost no retraining is needed. Clicking the mouse buttons does not result in unwanted movement because the thumb naturally opposes other finger movements.
- Contoured and Textured: The contoured black portion of the mouse has a polyurethane coating, allowing complete control by simply resting the hand on it—practically eliminating any need to "grip" the mouse.
- Light Force Tactile Buttons: The buttons on the VerticalMouse 4 are designed for easy activation. The button force is low for easy clicking and to reduce the strain on the fingers, but still retains sufficient tactile firmness to avoid accidental actuation.
- Six Buttons: The VerticalMouse provides a total of 6 buttons. Two thumb operated buttons and 3 finger operated buttons are provided, with the scroll wheel providing a sixth button.
- Auto Click Option: With the Evoluent Mouse Manager software installed it is possible to automatically perform a single or double click by simply pausing the pointer. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Click Lock (or Drag Lock): This function, available through the Evoluent Mouse Manager Software, can eliminate the ongoing tension the index finger is subjected to when performing dragging operations. Rather than having to press and hold the mouse button while dragging, the software lets one press and hold a button momentarily to engage the "locking" function. When the movement is completed the lock is released by pressing any button on the mouse. In order to avoid accidental activation of this feature the time delay before activation is adjustable. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Break Reminder: The Evoluent Mouse Manager software also lets one set up visual and/or audio alerts as break reminders. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Right Bluetooth Models
VerticalMouse 4, Closeup of Speed Toggle LED Indicator
VerticalMouse 4, Right Handed Model, Front View
VerticalMouse 4, Closeup of Backlit Evoluent Logo at Back of Mouse
VerticalMouse 4, Driver Screen Capture
VerticalMouse 4, Ergonomics Behind Vertical Orientation
Width: 3.15" (8.0 cm)
Depth (front to back): 4.45" (11.3 cm)
Height: 3.03" (7.7 cm)
Weight: 5.89 oz (167 grams) (Corded VM4R model is 5.3 oz [135 grams])
- Laser Resolution: Extra low, low, medium, high
- Compatibility: Fixed button functions without a driver. Mac drivers on the Evoluent download page may be used to program the buttons. Verify current compatibility.
- Note on Programmable Functions: If button 6 (bottom thumb button) is programmed as a "Toggle" button, then a second layer of functions can be added to buttons 1, 2, 3, and 4. This allows for up to nine (9) functions to be programmed into the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4. (6 buttons - 1 as toggle + second layer for 4 buttons = 9 functions)
- Available Drivers: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software (Mac Only)
- Colour: Dark Grey buttons, Black housing with Chrome Accents, Blue light for Evoluent logo, Green DPI setting indicator.
- Warranty: 2 years.
Please note that these mice come with the Serial Number located on the underside of the battery compartment cover. Please ensure that you do not lose the battery cover as the serial is required should warranty service be necessary.
- Package Contents: Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Right - Bluetooth for Mac, AA battery, User Guide
- Work With Your Arm: For optimum ergonomic value it is recommended that the majority of your mouse movement be performed with movement coming from the arm. By doing so a neutral alignment of the wrist can be maintained. Finer, small movements can be achieved by slight deflection of the wrist and flexing of the fingers, especially if the mouse sensor speed is set to "High".
- Maintain a Neutral Posture: When working with the Evoluent VerticalMouse you will want to ensure that your worksurface is positioned at a height which maintains a "neutral" or "straight" line through the back of the wrist. Ergonomically this is the ideal posture and may require adjustment of either the worksurface height (where possible) or of your seating height. It is especially important to ensure that the worksurface where the mouse is located is not too high as this will either be forcing the shoulder up unnaturally or the arm will be angled over the rigid edge of the worksurface. Either of these are undesirable and can significantly increase the risk of developing Repetitive Strain Injuries. The vertical orientation which the Evoluent VerticalMouse achieves naturally brings the elbow closer to the body. If you find that your elbow is "flared" out while using the Evoluent you may want to check the height of your desk and lower it if necessary. The other reason for a flared elbow may be the reach across the numeric keypad. There are keyboard options available which either move the numeric keypad to the left or totally eliminate it for those who make limited use of the numeric keypad or who can learn to employ the standard upper rank numeric keys on the keyboard.
- Take Breaks: One of the most common causes of RSI is the "repetitive" nature of the actions undertaken. Extensive mousing (or keyboarding) without breaks can be the trigger which releases a full-blown RSI. Even the most ergonomic of mice or keyboards cannot change this fact. The Evoluent Mouse Manager Software includes a "Break Reminder" function which you can set to occur on a regular basis throughout the day. A quick stretch or short change of function may be all that is required to avoid possible painful consequences.
- Reduce Your Clicking: Repetitive clicking can be greatly reduced through the options available in the Evoluent Mouse Manager Software. Setting an "auto-click" for either single or double left click can significantly reduce the number of clicks needed to be performed by the fingers. In addition, multiple movements, clicks, and awkward keyboard reaches can be combined to a single click by pre-programming common actions to one of the buttons. Advanced operators can even set "program specific" settings which will automatically apply when switching between various applications.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|VM4RM|| Right-Handed, Bluetooth, Black Housing with Chrome Accents, Dark Grey Buttons||135.00|
|VM4RB|| Right-Handed, Bluetooth, White Housing with Chrome Accents, White Buttons||n/a|
|MP1|| Evoluent Wrist Support Mouse Pad, rigid one piece 7" x 7" mousing surface with attached gel wrist pad||55.00 |